Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Show Off Your Pontoon Boat > Pontoon Boat Rebuild Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

making a tri-toon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making a tri-toon
    Posted: 10/24/2012 at 7:01pm
i have a 20 ft regular two log toon(24 or 25 in. round logs) with a 70hp yamaha i am going to change out the round logs and put 3 u shaped logs under it.with the lifting strakes is my plan i have read on here that the strakes wont do any good with small motor. that it will just cause more drag.  what is min. hp required ?how much drag will it create? larger motor will have to wait till i can rathole somemore money  thanks for any advice or experiance on this 
MRT24 View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members
Excellent Member of the Month Jan 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MRT24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 8:58pm
Welcome first off, for a 20'er I'd say at least a 90, might want to check out liquid assets rebuild. He built a 20' tritoon with strakes and he's had as small as a 50hp and as big as a 115 and they have both pushed the boat up on plain but of course the bigger motor does it easier. If you can get your toon to plain the drag will be very minimal. I could possibly be interested in your tubes if you want to sell them. Good luck Ryan
Ryan, Martha, Ana and Nathan
SOLD1992 24' Monark SunSpa 240
1996 (rebuilt) Johnson 112hp
NEW PROJECT
2014 custom southbay chassis rebuild
PS-Guy View Drop Down
INACTIVE
INACTIVE
Senior Admin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS-Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 9:28am
Welcome David!  You might want to update your location to show your state, so we can get an idea what area you are from.  While I will admit that I don't have experience with small motors/strakes, I'll still throw my .02 in.  I don't see how it matters.  I mean, if you don't have enough motor to do what you want the boat to do, what does it matter if you add 1/10th more "drag" to the boat?  Will you even notice?  I highly doubt it.  I think the factors to consider when taking on a project such as this is what goal you wish to reach as a final destination.  If you never planned on swapping out that 70 for a large motor, I would say stay with a standard 2-log boat.  But if know you will be re-powering with a larger motor down the road, and performance is an important goal of yours, then I say do the strakes NOW.  If you are going to do a rebuild, it's easier to do it with the boat apart then to go back and re-do it later.  IMO, planning is one of the most important parts of any task.  Good luck, and lets see some pics of your ride!
Feel free to contact me for help on your project!

Pontoon Seats
david View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 7:18pm
Thanks for yalls input i will put bigger motor on latter i just dont want to put the three logs under it if the 70hhp wont be big enough to get it up on plain and cause more drag than i have now fuel usage is killing me now as it is. plus with the third log with transom  on it i can change floor layout to the way i want it    THANKS AGAIN
david
 Post Reply Post Reply