Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Pontoon Boat Forum > Everything About Pontoon Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transducer and Pitot Mounting Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transducer and Pitot Mounting Help
    Posted: 05/12/2012 at 2:20pm
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on the best way to mount a couple things and I think I have the basics figured out on it. I have a Humminbird HDR 650 and a Teleflex Pitot Speedometer. I realize the speedometer may not be the most accurate or reliable, however the actual gauge was already there, I just had to buy the tubing and pitot.

As you can see in the picture, I do have a bracket on the back of by starboard pontoon. From what I have found, that seems to be the best place to mount these things. When I put the new motor on the boat 5 years ago, it had a pitot on it and I remember busting it off on accident in the process. I was sure that it was mounted on the transom but I can't find any sign on the boat of where it was. But I know it was there!!

First off, with the pitot. Should I try to mount it on the transom or will it be fine next to the transducer on the pontoon? What would give me my best chance at regular performance anyhow? Does anyone have any tricks or tips on installing the pitot?

Now, for the transducer. This little thing seems like it is going to be more work than I would have imagined! The instructions are very detailed and useful...If my boat had a hull. But since I don't, I'm left trying to figure it out. My biggest concern is getting the angle set. The instructions include a nice tip using 12" of string at the transom to help determine the angle. Yet again, that isn't going to help me much.

Once I do get the transducer angle set, is there any good ways of securing the cable to the pontoon as it makes its run up to the helm? My biggest concerns would be at the very end of the pontoon, when it has to go up the end cap of the pontoon. Once I'm on top, I can run it in a channel with my steering cable.

I'm going to be putting the depth gauge in the PS Gauge Panel I just purchased. I'm hoping it will fit in the extra hole that is provided!! The panel says it will fit a standard 2" gauge and the depth gauge says it requires a 2 1/8" hole. So I might have to do a little modification to the panel.

I appreciate all of the help I can get on this!!!

***added 2 returns after last text so pic would align***

Edited by Wildcat Dude - 05/12/2012 at 3:53pm
1992 Godfrey Sweetwater 24'
2004 Mercury 90 2-Stroke
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 3:31pm
Mercury motors generally have a spot on the lower unit to hook up the pitot tube. Maybe that is the one you broke off. As for the transducer, I would mount it on the bottom backside of the bracket and tilt the trailing edge up slightly. You need to remember that Pontoons squat in the rear, so bt tilting the back edge up, it will actually be pointing straight down when running. Here's a pic of how I mounted mine and attached the cable to the back of the log. You can mount both to the bracket, but may see interference from the pitot.

Note in these pics how the transducer is tilted up slightly at the rear.

Ten42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 5:56pm

Thanks! As for the pitot, I did see where some Mercury's did have that built in. I wasn't able to find out where or how to utilize it though. I did read something about possibly needing a specially calibrated speedometer to use that feature. Something about the pressure being different. If it would work, or if I even knew how to try and see if it will work through the motor I would definitely love to give that a shot. But I've spent countless hours scouring the net and doing image searches. I just can't find anything. Again, anyone with any advice, please feel free to chime in. I'm open for any help at this point!

As for the mounting of the transducer. Did you have to do any measuring as far as an angle is concerned? Or do you just make sure it is level and then just eyeball an approximate pitch for it? The way the instructions made it sound is that it was a pretty accurate science and you needed to be right on for it to work. Considering I'm not going to be obtaining any record times on the water, I'm thinking it isn't as important. Also, do I need to try to get the unit as close to the bottom of the pontoon as possible or does it really not make much of a difference in this application?
2004 Mercury 90 2-Stroke
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 6:08pm
I just eyeballed it and tried it out. If you have a waterline on your logs, you can kind of judge how the boat sits from that. But it's just trial and error for the most part. With the 50 HP, you will probably not have the problems that boats with higher HP (faster) motors have. The faster your boats goes, the more critical it is to have the transducer aimed correctly. I've found on my last two Pontoons that the placement that I have shown in the pics above has worked best. Most say you want the transducer bottom slightly below the bottom of the log, but being a little higer has worked well for me. Also keeps debris from smacking it as much. Also notice that the bracket and transducer is a few inches off center (to the left) of the middle of the log. This setup seems to help too, rather than being directly in the middle of the log. 
Ten42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 6:16pm
OK. It appears that my bracket hangs below the pontoon or is right even with it. I was wanting to have it just above that to avoid debris hitting it. Or atleast to reduce the risk of it happening. My logs do have a water line that I can use to help get a good angle to start with. Since my bracket is about flush with the bottom of the log I might try to mount the transducer just above the bottom of it and see what it does. Also, how do you recommend wiring in the depth gauge? I just purchased the PS Gauge Panel and will be installing it soon. I'm also adding the Trim Gauge to it as well. Can I just use the power that is coming to the PS panel or should I run a seperate power for it?

Edited by thisdj1 - 05/12/2012 at 8:04pm
2004 Mercury 90 2-Stroke
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 10:00pm
You can use the power that comes to the panel. Just make sure to use an inline fuse (1 Amp) from the power supply to the depth finder.
 Post Reply Post Reply