Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Pontoon Boat Forum > Everything About Pontoon Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBelow deck storage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Below deck storage?
    Posted: 12/09/2011 at 9:58am
As I've said I have little experience with pontoons, so maybe this is a dumb question. But, is it possible/feasable to have under deck storage for rods and batteries on a pontoon boat? capt david
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 10:18am
Your imagination is the only limitation Wink. However, I myself would not put my battery below deck. I'm too old to be getting on my knees (and can't tolerate the pain either) plus I don't want something in the water knocking the batteries out (or water if I don't do it right). Rods storage will be more confining on length. If you want it lengthwise and they are big saltwater rods, then that means the storage is hanging below the supports and again subject to things in the water possibly knocking on it. Another way is to lay them width wise (7.5 ft probably max) unless you go with a smaller toon that's only 6ft wide. There are plenty of guys on here who can come up with a better plan as it sure isn't me LOL
Woody View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members
EPWPTQ Award for December 2011

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 12:20pm

As Wildcat says, you are only limited by your imagination. Do be aware of possible water damage if not properly protected, as he mentioned, but also be aware that something hangind down below the pontoon could cause drag on the boat if the bow spray beats against it. It doesn't actually have to reach in the water to create drag.

Woody & Marilyn
Covington, LA
Boating in SE Louisiana and
Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Excellent Member of the Month Club 6/09
CajunDiver View Drop Down
Trusted Experienced Member
Excellent Member Of The Year 2009

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2011 at 9:22pm
One more "ditto" for water damage. I have a boat (non toon) with infloor ice chests. Even with refrigerator type seals we often get water in the ice from the boat flexing in waves while we wash the deck down. I know toons aren't subject as much to this type washing or flexing but you still have rain, cleaning and other ways water can work its way in. The storage would be fine just dont leave anything in there for long that water would hurt.
89 Tracker Party Hut rebuilt & modified for 2009
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 12/08
"Guns don't kill people the government does"--Rusty Shackleford
cattzap View Drop Down
Excellent Member of the Month Club 03/10

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2011 at 1:13pm
Consider trailer clearance as well.  it's a good idea though. Don't give up on it.  Just think more.
2006 Fisher Liberty 180
Mercury 4 Stroke Bigfoot 60hp
Carlos, Texas
"Atta Boy" Award March 2010
Home Lake = Gibbons Creek
 Post Reply Post Reply