Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Pontoon Boat Forum > Everything About Pontoon Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolishing Pontoon: Bottom is rough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
"Atta Boy July 2011"

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polishing Pontoon: Bottom is rough
    Posted: 07/15/2011 at 1:27pm
Hi, I have a 1981 Neptoon 24' and am in the process of rebuilding it.  I would like to polish the U shape logs.  When I first got the boat, I thought that my father must have painted the bottom of the U with anti fouling paint or epoxy (It is the same color as the upper part though, oxidized).  I put aircraft stripper on it and nothing happened. So I hit it with some 80 grit sand paper. Sanding revealed that what I thought was paint, is actually aluminum. But it is rough  Confused .  I also put a yellow buffing wheel on it with brown rouge and it cleaned up some but still rough not like the mirror I would like.  Will sanding fix this or should I just leave the bottom of the U alone. 
No Payne, No Gain
1981 JC MFG Inc, 824 Neptoon 24'
198? Johnson 120 V4 VRO
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2011 at 1:36pm

If you sand, use fine grit - YOU MUST BE CAREFUL, as you don't want to remove too much material. Show us a pic of the bottom so we can advise more precisely but I would recommend polishing with with Nuvite F9, get a 1/4lb and use it sparingly, but it might take a lot of polishing before you start seeing good results if its really rough. I made the mistake of sanding and it was more work to smooth it out again. If its really rough, it will help to smooth it out as you'll reduce the resistance of the water flow and increase speed a little

gemini7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
"Atta Boy July 2011"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2011 at 9:54am
here are a couple of closups...     Thanks for the advice!

No Payne, No Gain
1981 JC MFG Inc, 824 Neptoon 24'
198? Johnson 120 V4 VRO
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2011 at 5:33pm
yep, several applications of F9 with a good polisher (but cheap like I show in another thread on polishing) will get the job done, just don't get in any hurry but it'll smooth out and polish up real nice, maybe not mirror, but definitely smooth and shiny
 Post Reply Post Reply