Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic - Member's Chat > Boat Rebuilds NOT Pontoon/Deckboats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kevnky 1971 jon boat Ochachita

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KEVnKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kevnky 1971 jon boat Ochachita
    Posted: 04/26/2011 at 10:29pm
This is a rebuild my Great Gandpa would be proud of. He has been gone for 15 yrs.  He use to take me fishing, running trout lines in the Green river in KY.  Boat was sanded in rough areas, then used anti fouling paint, then painted olive green. Heat gun used to peel of old stickers, dated alway back to 1972. Couple leaks patched with alumweld. (Don't bother with propane it is not hot enough use MAP gas).  Floor was covered with 1/2 inch treated plywood, then some leftover carpet from a friends redo.  I will be covering the boat year round so the treated plywood will work just fine.  Also now that the boat is done I will need to tackel the trailer. It didn't look so bad when the boat looked bad.  Motor is a 1972 jonhson 9.5. Font bench is temporary and I can take it out for more room. Seats purchased from local GM.  Just need to add stickers, touch up paint, fasten seats( just setting there for pics). Motor tuned up by my mechanic and added seals, and impeller. I have two boys and we will be taking it out for years to come.
Thanks Grandpa for the memories! 

Kevnky
1981 50hp Crest 25 foot
1971 Ochachita Jon boat 14 ft 9.5hp

Kev in Kentucky
1981 25 ft Crest
1981 50hp Johnson
Give a man a fish feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish feed him for life.
CajunDiver View Drop Down
Trusted Experienced Member
Excellent Member Of The Year 2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 11:00pm
Looks like a great boat for sneaking around the lake and in the cypress trees. Is the trailer next?
89 Tracker Party Hut rebuilt & modified for 2009
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 12/08
"Guns don't kill people the government does"--Rusty Shackleford
KEVnKY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KEVnKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 11:08pm

Trailer will be done down the road (next month$$$). Any tips for sanding all the rust??? I also need to add some bunks. Just think up untill about 5 yrs ago I was loading and unloading the boat into a pickup truck no trailer. 

Thanks for the reply.
Kev in Kentucky
1981 25 ft Crest
1981 50hp Johnson
Lake Kerr Guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
"AttaBoy" Award November 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Kerr Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 11:09pm
You are the super hero to those boys.  Have fun but keep em in jackets...
Lake Kerr Guy
2007 Bass Buggy, 50 HP 2 stroke Mercury
1989 20' Sun Cruiser used as floating dock, powered by Trolling Motor
1967 14' Lowe, 1977 15 HP Johnson
Kenny B. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 1:22am
i'm about to start on my rusty trailer. i was going to sand it and paint it. but someone at work recommended rust encapsulator and chassis black by Eastwood. if it's just surface rust supposedly all you have to do is knock it off with a wire brush and paint over it with the encapsulator.  i have a 12 foot sears game fisher still being truck loadedDead the pedestal like you have in the back did not work for us. it made it unstable and when my wife fell out of the boat they had to go.

Edited by Kenny B. - 04/27/2011 at 1:31am
ken and sharon "lost in toon land"
1984 Party Barge 24ft
1972? Mercury 50hp
KEVnKY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KEVnKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:48pm
Now that you mention the pedistal my dad fell out last year.  I think it was for a different reason though.  He stood to pee, at the same exact time my brother caught a fish.  It was about 60 degrees.  My dad said pull me into the boat! I looked at my brother and looked at my dad who is 320 pounds and said pull you in???  We trolled to the bank and he walked up.

Edited by Wildcat Dude - 04/27/2011 at 6:51pm
Kev in Kentucky
1981 25 ft Crest
1981 50hp Johnson
CajunDiver View Drop Down
Excellent Member Of The Year 2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 7:42pm
I recommend OSPHO for trailer rust. You wire brush the loose stuff off and paint it on. It neutralizes the rust and turns it to a surface that you can paint. Most true paint stores carry it.
89 Tracker Party Hut rebuilt & modified for 2009
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 12/08
"Guns don't kill people the government does"--Rusty Shackleford
dahogman View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dahogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2011 at 4:47pm
60 grit Flap wheels will make quick work of that trailer, takes the rust and paint off to bare metal.  Then roll it with rustoleum primer and then roll it with rustoleum oil base enamel.  Cheap and will last a long time.  You can also paint trailer with bed liner.  If you have bunks carpet top half of them, they will dry really fast that way.Smile

Edited by dahogman - 06/28/2011 at 4:48pm
Eric
2011 Tracker Targa V18
Mercury 150 Optimax
99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4
Galesburg IL
Fishing Illinois & Mississippi Rivers
 Post Reply Post Reply