Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Show Off Your Pontoon Boat > Pontoon Boat Rebuild Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

m and m Bass Buggy rebuild...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Excellent Member Of The Month March 2011

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: m and m Bass Buggy rebuild...
    Posted: 10/17/2010 at 3:42am
Have been watching this site for a year or so now, chomping at the bit to get my rebuild started.

Was so excited that I never took any before pics!

Here are some "during" pics...

already pulled the rails and seats off...a little overzealous to get that ugly teal out of here.

on the way to the dump.

another tear-down pic...

I got this boat out in Vegas when I lived there (in NC now). It was rebuilt once already (I use that word with hesitation - the re-builder was hardly a master carpenter, metal worker, or electrician...). The seats were all plywood covered in foam and cheap vinyl. Wood was waterlogged and heavy! Can"t wait to see how it floats with less weight on it.

Edited by m and m
"AttaBoy" Award for Dec 2010
Mooresville, NC
88 Tracker Bass Buggy 20'
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 3:50am
The toons are in good shape - these pics are after my father-in-law spent about 8 hrs on them with some cleaner (The Works) and a screen sratch pad on a sander. (The sander died...i took it apart to clean it and found that the toilet cleaner dissolved all the seals and rubber inside.)

The boat was tied up in the Lake Mead marina for years.  If anyone knows lake mead, the calcium carbonate is so concentrated it covers everything in white. The toons literally had about 1/8 inch of accumulation on them. I was really surprised they cleaned up this nice. (Nuvite pics coming soon!)

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:00am
the bunks were all rotted and needed replacing. After reading about some bunk slicks and seeing that they cost a fortune, I decided to make my own.

After a little research, I found that ultra high molecular weight HDPE has substantially less friction than regular stuff. I figured that might be a good thing
(as long as the boat doesn"t slide off the trailer on its own...

I ordered some fromhere and made my own.

I"ll let ya"ll know how it works out.

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:03am
btw, where can I get more of this angle for the trim?

Actually, I really don't like this stuff so if anyone has any other suggestions that won't break my bank and are relatively easy to construct, I'm all ears. I've looked at just getting flexible rub rail from Ebay but i'm not sure it'll work...anyone use that?

(why does my text not reach across the screen?)

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:10am
we"ve all got a couple pics like this, right?

I was meticulous when I tore this down, labeling every wire, tracing it back and forth...i had it all sorted and had figured out where everything went.

It was a real mess (and a hazard in some cases) and I was looking forward to re-wiring it the proper way once i found some time.

That was 4 months ago, and I labeled everything using athletic tape (you can see where i"m going...)

Labels are gone, and I"ve got a rats nest of wires.  You"d think i could follow the colors and match up the cuts, but in a lot of cases, they change colors 3 or 4 times (no joke) when they leave the dash and arrive at the motor, batteries, or elsewhere.

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:12am
Here"s a shot of the PS carpet. Very nice stuff, impressed with the quality.

Boat was in Vegas for years, so the wood was dry and tight. I think it's original wood on it, it has big hole in the center where (I think) the console used to be...
And the sun baked the glue so much I only had to scrape the deck for about 20 minutes before laying the new stuff.

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:22am
So I really wanted to get the boat off the trailer to inspect the bottom of the pontoons - the calcium carbonate was really bad on the bottoms.

I could swear I heard water in one of them last time we pulled it out, so i wanted to inspect for leaks too.

(I think I"ve got separate compartments inside the toons. Anyone know for sure?)

It"s great to have a neighbor with toys!!

You can see where I couldn't reach to scrape and clean the gunk off the bottom...pretty thick here.

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:32am
Anyone know where i can get these (red circles)?

The last re-builder apparently extended the deck over the front of the toons and left these parts off.

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 7:08am

Decided that I might as well tidy up the trailer while i had the boat off... Was changing bunks, might as well sand and paint too.

here are the steps and guides...

I"d like to take the rollers of to do a better job here.

Do these little hats come off?

i"m thinking press fitting and it"s on there for good...

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
papaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 9:04am

Looks like you"re well on your way and that"s a nice looking project!!  Are you going to polish the toons?  What kind of furniture arrangement are you looking at going back with?  Again great start and I look forward to seeing your progression!!

1991 Stardust 24'
2011 115 Evinrude Etec
1993 Godfrey "Mini Toon"
2000 25hp Johnson
Ludowici Georgia
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by m and m m and m wrote:

why does my text not reach across the screen?
   Because you"re not use IE but some other browser. So what's the year of the boat, motor, HP etc as you didn't include that in your signature line. Renamed the post as well to remove the apostophe

Edited by Wildcat Dude
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:21pm

are the pics showing up?

when come to the site, i don"t see the pics (in both IE and google chrome...)

i"m new to this stuff, sorry!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:27pm
No problem, yes pics do show just fine. Don"t forget to update your signature line as we still don"t know what year this boat is or details on your motor. Those roller guides - dump em, you"ll just end up punching holes in those toons. Go with horizontal guide boards, you"ll be much happier with them.
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:29pm

Papa Z, toons will be polished (I hope to get started today if the trailer sanding and re-painting hurries up.)

not sure about the seating arrangement.  i"ve got these so far...(again, very impressed with the quality of these)

I think the seating arrangement this year will be lawn chairs on the deck! 

Will need to save pennies a bit before getting the seats.  Planning on a full bench across the back and building a wide sundeck / noise shroud over the gas, batteries, and motor.  My wife does her best fishing / napping while laying up there with a string tied to her toe.

Not sure yet about the rest of the layout.  The old layout had a 50 gallon tank right in then center of the deck.  Took up so much room you could hardly walk by it!

(i'm assuming the large tank was so the previous owner didn't need to fill it often while it was at the marina...  any issues i need to prepare for with running lots of old gas through this motor?)

Edited by m and m
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:41pm

Yikes!  Don"t want any holes...consider them dumped.  Thanks for the advice.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:41pm
Yep, dump it and run it through the mower, mix up a fresh batch.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:44pm
Water in logs, read this Finding leaks in logs
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 9:09pm

Busy day today...

Got the trailer sanded and painted. 

...Had some help from my awesome wife with the dirty work.

Trailer took most of the day but we got it stripped, sanded, and painted in a day.  Will post painted pics when the sun is up.  All of the running lights were junk, so looks like this is getting new wiring and lights too.  Bearings are done, re-painted them rims too so it should be good to go once I get the lights back on.

Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 9:14pm

I prepared the bunks when I started stripping this a few months ago.  (Then our first baby was born and there has been no time for projects!)

Anyway, i mounted them on green pressure treated... doh!

Will be fixing this tomorrow too...

Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 9:22pm

So after the trailer was done, I started polishing...  Using Nuvite F7 for the first pass.  The bottoms are pretty heavily pitted, but only the fish will see that part. 

I did a light sand with the palm sander and some worn down 400 grit, which seemed to do the trick taking the last of the calcium carbonate and residue off the bottoms.  This was after just the F7, though I did a small patch with the S grade on the othe rside to see if it would make any difference and I was surprised how quickly it put a mirror on the toons!      <--- that"s a round of applause for Nuvite!  I"m very pleased with how great it looks with only a few minutes here. 

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 9:28pm

Pulled the plugs on the logs today too.

One compartment had a good amount of water.

I was surprised at how much pressure escaped when I pulled the plugs though!  I"m surprised they didn"t burst baking in the sun out in Vegas in the 120 degree heat!

I"ll be putting in some of these breather plugs to let the pressure out.

Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 9:37pm

oh yeah...

Did these wood blocks have a purpose on the "original" boat and now they are no longer useful?  (or are they part of the deck structure?)

(the don't extend across the deck, only to the other side of the log - tough to see with the shadow)

There is some hacked-off metal lagged on the outside of all of them (3 per side i think).  I"m wondering if they were part of something useful that"s been cut off?

I"m asking becuase I"d like to tear them out and go with a low profile deck trim, but these ugly hunks of wood necesitate wide edge trim.

Edited by m and m
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 9:53pm
Have to wait for somebody that has a bass buddy to comment on those blocks. I"ve never looked at one close up and studied it.
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2010 at 9:22am

I currently have a 25 gal tank that"ll go in the back like a traditional setup (tank on one log, batteries on the other).

There"s a flat rectangular tank (7" x 18" x 48") on craigslist nearby.  I"m considering swapping my existing tank for the flat one and mounting it under the deck in the center of the boat (to try to move some weight forward).  I"d fill the tank through a lift-up hatch in the floor.

I"d really appreciate any comments ya"ll have on this concept.

Do these tanks work well?  Any issues with drawing air into the fuel line as the tank gets low and the fuel starts sloshing around?

I think it would clear the waves...ony about 4.5 inches would stick down below the cross members.

Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
Country Dave View Drop Down
Trusted Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 11:18am

M, how is the project coming? 

You need to post some pics of your progress.  Do you have your heart set on under skinning? I thought about it but decided there just wasnít enough benefit to it. Iím also concerned about adding extra weight and moister getting trapped between the decking and the skin.

Have you decided what type of decking you will use?

Dave          

1986 Stardust 24ft
2003 Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 1:02pm
Country - progress is slow!

I"ve been up in Canada the past 2 weeks for work, so
weekends have been dedicated to spending time with my
wife and baby girl...slow progress on the polishing.

I"ve got the trailer sanded and re-painted, got the new
bunks on, re-wired and installed new lights, polished the
bottom of the logs, put on some sharkide, and flipped it
back on the trailer...

will post pics tonight.

now that it"s back on the trailer, i can finish polishing
the sides of the logs, but early darkness is killing
progress!

btw, the bunk slicks i made are AWESOME. I can push the
whole boat back and forth on the bunks myself with fairly
little effort. I"m sure it"ll slide right off the
trailer when i back it down the launch ramp and tap the
brakes...
Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
Country Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 1:29pm
[QUOTE=m and m]Country - progress is slow!

I"ve been up in Canada the past 2 weeks for work, so
weekends have been dedicated to spending time with my
wife and baby girl...slow progress on the polishing. [/q]

Bro that is about the best thing Iíve heard in some time. Good for you. Putting your wife and baby girl first is awesome. The boat will be there when you have time.  Remember slow and steady wins the race anyway.

Dave   

***fixed quote problem***

Edited by Wildcat Dude
1986 Stardust 24ft
2003 Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 7:50pm

Country, this is where i"ve been spending my time...

My baby girl and beautiful wife.  Great neighbors too, if you notice the table of food in the background and the hayride on the other side!  Too much distraction with "porkchops" and bonfires lately too focus on work!

Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 7:54pm

i did manage to get some work done on the trailer though...

before....

and during repainting...

Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
m and m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 8:05pm

and i did manage to get the bottom of the logs finished to the degree that the fish will care...

It started with easily 1/8" of calcium deposit on the bottom of the logs, so any improvement past that is fantastic in my book.  Obviously the aluminum was really scratched and pitted, so my expectations were low.  I just wanted to get some Nuvite practice and get them cleaned up while the boat was upside down.

They got reasonably shiny - you can see your reflection in them, though the pitting is pretty bad.  This is after F9, F7, and then S grade very quickly.

Then I put some tape down to mark the area where i stopped polishing, applied the Sharkhide, and called it done.

Good enough for me, i"ll put a lot more effort into the sides where you actually see it.

Mooresville, NC
88 Mercury 60 hp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>