Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Pontoon Boat Forum > Tips, Tricks, and things to know
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing a Pontoon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trusted Experienced Member
Excellent Member Of The Year 2009

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing a Pontoon
    Posted: 10/03/2010 at 8:13pm
I know this issue is discussed every year but I did not see a thread in the Tips, Tricks, and things to know discussion so thought I would start one here. Being from Louisiana I normally don"t worry with such trivial things as winterizing anything.....however......now that my boat will be spending the winter in Arkansas where it gets alot colder I am suddenly needing some tips and advice. I always put the Stabil in the fuel when I plan on her sitting idle for a while. My biggest concern is what do I do since my boat will be left in the water in a coverd slip this winter. Should I leave the motor tilted up and try to drain water out or should I just leave it in the water in its normal position and just not use it if the water is frozen? Any tips or hints for storing the boat on the water in the winter would be appreciated. Also feel free to chime in on winter storage on a trailer also as I hope this thread will cover winterizing in general.
89 Tracker Party Hut rebuilt & modified for 2009
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 12/08
"Guns don't kill people the government does"--Rusty Shackleford
CGbosun View Drop Down
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 2/10

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 10:26am

Wow - where to begin?  I have an I/O with raw water cooling, so we have to haul out and winterize each year. I use a three-part system for layup: clean, cover and pay the mechanic.  We clean everythinginside and outside, inside every storage area, cup holder, under seat stowage and remove just about everything we can to clean and store at home.  PFDs, tools, safety equipment, electronics all go home for cleaning and storage.  The battereis go last of all, after the engine is winterized.  We use a heavy canvas full cover made for our toon.  We thought about shrink wrapping this year, but the cover allows us access for cleaning, repairs, whatever.  We pay the shop that replaced the engine two years ago to do the winterizing on the engine and outdrive since that ensures the warrantee stays in effect.  We run all the gas we can out of both tanks, and treat what little is left with an appropriate product.

Since we store on a trailer, the trailer gets some TLC as well.

CGbosun
31' Playcraft 5.0 I/O
Catfish Heaven, VA

CGbosun View Drop Down
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 2/10

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2010 at 10:32am
check out this link for some good info.

Edited by Wildcat Dude - 10/23/2011 at 12:10pm
CGbosun
31' Playcraft 5.0 I/O
Catfish Heaven, VA

capt_caveman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 11:52pm
This is our first boat so I hope I got everything covered.  We brought the boat home, emptied everything out of it, cleaned everything then put some items (rope anchor bumpers etc) back in.  I made sure the fuel was stabilized.  Changed the motor oil and lower gear oil.  Changed the water separator filter and fogged the cylinders.  Pulled the battery and took the boat back down to the marina where it is shrink wrapped and stored.  I'll keep the battery charged in the basement for the winter.
2010 Sweetwater 20ft
2010 Yamaha 90hp
SMILE and WAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 5:14pm
capt_caveman it sounds like you nailed it as far as the boat goes. One more thing to add to your list is the trailer wheel bearings. They should be taken apart, cleaned and regreased or if you have 'bearing buddies' just pump some new grease in. This will remove or displace any water that may have gotten in over the summer. Water will rust bearings and freeze in cold weather, expand and could possibly do a number on the bearings and bearing race's. If Murphy's Law is correct you will find out just how much water damage has been done when your half way to your next holiday destination. Sure sucks changing wheel bearings on the side of the interstate.

Just my 2,

Rich
SMILE and WAVE
Thunder Bay, Ont.
20' Tritoon
Built from scratch