Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Show Off Your Pontoon Boat > Pontoon Boat Rebuild Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Country Dave 1986 Stardust 24ft rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Trusted Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Country Dave 1986 Stardust 24ft rebuild
    Posted: 02/22/2010 at 2:04pm

Itís all about the fishing for me.  I bought this pontoon boat because we do a lot of fishing in the Flamingo everglades national park, Ten thousand islands, and Florida bay area.    Itís roughly 100 miles from my front door to the ramp at Flamingo, and then about a 30 mile run through Whitewater Bay to where we usually set up camp.  Iím going to trailer her around she wonít be in the water for more than a few days at a time. 

We camp on the chickee huts provided by the park but itís a BIG hassle.  You canít stay on the same chickee more than one night at a time; you canít reserve them either so itís a lot of prep and a long haul to take a chance on whether or not youíre going to get one. So this pontoon boat will be our floating chickee/mother ship if you will.    The 8x24 deck will do just fine for camping and will just raft up our skiffs to it a night.

This will be a total rebuild from the bottom of the toons up.            

***realigned text and pics for best alignment*** 

Edited by Country Dave
1986 Stardust 24ft
2003 Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke
Country Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 2:06pm

More pics

***realigned text and pics for best alignment***

Edited by Wildcat Dude
1986 Stardust 24ft
Woody View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members
EPWPTQ Award for December 2011

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 2:22pm
Get you some good skeeter netting for that area -- I"ve sailed it and stayed overnight on my boat, and was very glad that I could seal it up at night!  Beautiful country, and that"s the right boat to enjoy it.  Bon Voyage!
Woody & Marilyn
Covington, LA
Boating in SE Louisiana and
Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Excellent Member of the Month Club 6/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 2:38pm

Thanks Woody,

All my tents have no-see-ums nets. After the rebuild we will pitch our tents on deck until  I enclose it; install a generator and a/c unit.  It can get bug brutal during the summer months. 

More pics.

Edited by Country Dave
1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 2:53pm
1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 2:56pm
1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 3:01pm

Sheís rough but she will be sweet when Iím done. I will update the build this weekend with more pics.

***put a space after the text***

Edited by darrklim2
1986 Stardust 24ft
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 3:49pm
Be sure to describe what it is you are doing in the pics. Please post larger pics for easier viewing (say 800x600 would be perfect)
CGbosun View Drop Down
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 2/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGbosun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 5:16pm
Y"all are like us...we mostly fish from our toon, but its a pain to trailer until we win the lottery and can afford a new(er) trailer.  We knew ours needed some work, too, but we used it whenever we could between projects.  Seats and a new stern deck are next!!! When is that next drawing again???? "lottery" - redneck retirement plan
CGbosun
31' Playcraft 5.0 I/O
Catfish Heaven, VA

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 6:02pm

That"s when I hope to retire, winning that - find property with a couple of good ponds on it and I"m not going anywhere

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 7:42pm

Here are a couple pics of the Joe River and Oyster Bay chickees.   Wonít have to deal with that too much longer. Donít get me wrong itís cool to stay on them but itís not cool that you canít stay more than one night.  If all goes well my rebuild will be done early summer.  Boat pics to come.

***aligned text so pics would align***

Edited by Wildcat Dude
1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 8:18pm

Teardown and evaluation.  Everything must go. 

No itís not a liquidation sale   Thereís nothing Iím going to keep that was on this boat but the logs, cross beams/supports, Eng mount, motor, trailer and maybe the captains chair.    

***resized pics to 800x600 and brightened them up and consolidated them into one post.***

Edited by Wildcat Dude
1986 Stardust 24ft
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 9:42pm
The deck looks absolutely terrible and definitely needs new wood and carpet. What are you thinking of putting on it? 20oz or 28oz?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 9:49pm

Thanks for resizing the pics. I think Iíve got it down now LOL Iím thinking the 20oz only because I believe it will not hold as much moister as the thicker stuff.

Dave

1986 Stardust 24ft
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 10:55pm
Shouldn"t hold any moisture. That 28oz carpet I got is so thick, water rolls right off

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2010 at 8:47am

I have a Bass pro shop 15 minutes from the house. I love that place I go there a lot.  Bad part is I canít ever get out of there without spending a hundred bucks. Every time I go there I look at the pontoon boats so I can get some ideas and look at there construction.   Bass pro is a Tracker Boats dealer selling, Sun Tracker Pontoon boats, Nitro Bass boats, Tahoe and Mako.  I have a 1977 17 ft Mako that I just finished restoring.

I still like the new Makoís but there not what they used to be. Still a good boat but once Tracker bought them the quality went down.  Iím not sure what year it was, I believe it was late 80s early 90 and they moved the operation from down hear in South Florida to Springfield Mo. Still a good quality boat but not as sound as they once where.  

Anyway all of the Pontoon boats that they keep out side the carpet are always damp and matted.  Maybe there using a cheep carpet I donít know.   I donít want to have anything on the deck thatís going to trap moister.   Thanks cfrank I appreciate the encouragement. I Ďm going to keep the Yamaha. Thatís one of the big reasons I bought this boat. That motor only has 127hrs on it.  I saw it on the plug in scan tool that Yamaha makes for diagnosis. Itís a pretty cool tool.  It can tell you a lot of info, like the highest RPM the motor was ever revved to, hottest eng temp so you know if itís ever been overheated and how many hours the motor etc etc.                           

Dave

1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2010 at 8:04am

Thanks Dave,

Slow and steady wins the race. I have so much going on its hard to find time to work on her.  Iíve located a center pontoon thatís reasonably priced and less than a 400 mile round trip from my house.  Iím going to run over on Sunday and take a look.

Dave  

1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2010 at 4:19pm

Ok Iíve been doing some thinking. So if you smell something burning youíll now what it is.   

I took some measurements this morning and then stared at the stupid thing for about 20 minutes.  This is what Iím up against.  I havenít had the thing in the water yet so I donít know how it performs with the current set up. The current set up meaning itís a stock 24 Stardust with 2 logs not 3 and a 2003 115hp Yamaha fore stroke short shaft  

I wanted to get this project moving forward so I started the teardown the weekend I trailed her home.  At that time adding a third log was the furthest thing from my mind. However now I know its something that I will do. Iím looking to get good performance out of her, speed and handling is whatís most important to me. Iím hoping to get 25 mph or better when itís all said and done.  I have about a 35 mile run from the ramp to the mouth of the Shark River where we like to set up camp, so Iíd like to make that run in just over and hour.

After much thought Iíve decide to continue the rebuild without adding the center log right now. I need to have a starting point. So when I do add the center log I can see if the performance increased or diminished and then make adjustments from there. The current engine bracket will not allow me to set the center log close to the lower unit of the motor, not without a lot of mods anyway.  Even if I was able to get it within a foot or two, the lower unit and the prop would still not be deep enough to get into clean water.

I measured only 6 inches from the bottom of the toons to the center of the prop hub.  If I add a center toon and keep it at the same height as the other ones the prop will be in some really dirty water.  Iím going to try and find an 18ft log. I will set the front of it even with the other toons and fabricate mounting brackets so I can bolt it on after Iíve sea trialed her without having to tear up the deck.  That will give me almost a 10 foot clearance between the end of the center toon/log and the prop.  Also thinking a narrower center toon would give me added stability while cruising and at rest while having less surface area when sheís at speed. Thatís the plan. So what do you all think?

Dave

1986 Stardust 24ft
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2010 at 4:40pm
Dave, I moved your post to your rebuild section from here Add a center log or not? as it seemed more appropriate
papaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2010 at 8:40pm
Country Dave, I would think that 25mph would be no problem for that 115 on your toon.  I have basically the same setup that you have with a Johnson 88 and I can get 24mph (GPS) with just me and one other person.  I can get about 20 to 21 with the family and pulling a tube.  I think if you"ll give what you"ve got a try you will be satisfied with the results!!  I also considered adding a third toon but I was going to add one with the transom built onto the log.  I had actually found one but decided against it at the present time. 
1991 Stardust 24'
2011 115 Evinrude Etec
1993 Godfrey "Mini Toon"
2000 25hp Johnson
Ludowici Georgia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2010 at 9:33pm

Thanks Phil,

The best way for sure would be to find a 24 ft center log that has the engine bracket built into it Thatís not out of the question but such things arenít just laying around LOL Itís not so much the expense as it is trying to find one locally. The shipping is half as much as the toon. Iím trying to wrap up two other project right now, my 1978 17 Mako and a 14ft Jon boat I just bought for my grandson. Iím going to put the Jon boat on the front deck of the Stardust. Heís only 5 so Iíve got a few years to play with it before I give it to him anyway.

If the moderators donít mind I will post a couple of pics of those projects on this thread. So anyway I will be playing with those while Iím looking for a log that will fit my needs. I know a guy that has done some aluminum work for me in the past. I will ask him what he things about fabricating an engine mount into a log if I can find one thats 24ft and does not already have one built in. I have some options.

Dave

Edited by Country Dave
1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2010 at 7:13pm

Well it seems like you never quite get as much done as you expected. I decided against shooting over to the west cost today and look at the 22 foot log/toon I found. Iím hoping to find an18 footer so I wonít have to cut it down. So I build a livebait well out of a cooler, and rebuilt the hubs on the trailer and painted the rims.

This week I will pressure test the port side toon and repair some of the small stress cracks at the bottom of the mounting brackets. The log overall looks to be in pretty good shape. I guess weíll see what happens.   Dave.

***combined, resized pics to 800x600***

Edited by Wildcat Dude
1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2010 at 8:13pm

Iíve been watching your thread, I have some little cracks at the mounting steaks as well. Iím hoping to have her done by June 1st. Itís doable. I would love to find a 24ft center tube with a built-in transom that would support my 115 fore stroke. That would help a lot

Dave

1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2010 at 8:27pm

Iím not overly concerned about any small leaks above the waterline. I trailer her and she will never be in the water longer than fore or five days at a time. The deck covers the lifting steaks/mounting brackets so the only way water could get into the toon would be spray. Where you getting water in your logs? If so how?

Dave

1986 Stardust 24ft
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2010 at 10:12pm
Dave, take a look at this one and see if they will make you a quote as I"d be interested myself at some point. I"ve found some for $2500 but that"s a little rich for me. I"m thinking like you though, get a used toon, and hack the rear off and make a compartment for the fuel tank and have it welded in and strengthened. I know a fab shop that could probably do it for me for less than $300.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2010 at 12:47am
Yep, really high on the hog as you can find them on ebay for $1250 on occasion. Its the shipping that"ll kill you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2010 at 8:32am

Thanks for the info guys,

Id gladly pay $1300 for a center toon with a heavy-duty engine mount if I could find one locally but its like you said, itís the shipping that kills you. Ontario to South Florida I canít even imagine what that would cost. 

I have a really good local fabricator that Iíve worked with before; his work is some of the best Iíve seen.  Iím going to stop over with some pics and talk with him about what Iím trying to get accomplished. Id like to see if he could fab a bracket out of a stock center tube.  If any body hears about a center tube with a heavy-duty engine bracket for sale some where in Florida please let me know.  My logs are 23in diameter and 24ft long, a shorter log with the same diameter would be just fine. Thanks,

Dave    

Edited by Country Dave
1986 Stardust 24ft
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2010 at 10:41am
Actually the center log doesn"t have to be the same diameter. I"d love though to get a close up view of a log with a motor pod/fuel pod built in

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2010 at 2:16pm

That would be cool, more deck space for sure. Iím sure you would need to have some kind of inner liner so if the logs got breached you wouldnít spill a bunch of fuel in the bay.   The EPA would have a field day.

Dave     

1986 Stardust 24ft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Country Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2010 at 2:17pm

Dave, when are you getting your logs back from the shop?   

1986 Stardust 24ft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>