Pontoon Forum Homepage
PontoonStuff.com > Pontoon Boat Furniture & Seats | Pontoon Carpet & Flooring | Boat Accessories | Boat Parts | Boat Tops | Boat Covers | Boat Carpet | Boat Seats | Boat Wiring | Boat Seat Installation
Forum Home Forum Home > Pontoon Boat Forum > Tips, Tricks, and things to know
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to raise your toon off the trailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to raise your toon off the trailer
    Posted: 10/31/2007 at 4:16pm

Quote I know it has been discussed many times but a friend of mine needs to raise his boat off his trailer to clean barnicles. Please post how he can raise his boat while it sits there so he can clean his barnicles.

Get some high lift jacks and long 4x4"s.  Place 4x4"s along the inside of pontoons and a 4x4 at each end under the two 4x4"s running lenthwise.  Place a jack on each end of the end 4x4"s and lift.  Then pull trailer out from under and lower the jacks.  Place foam blocks under the toons.  This site sells the blocks

Edited by rickdb1
Eric
2011 Tracker Targa V18
Mercury 150 Optimax
99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4
Galesburg IL
Fishing Illinois & Mississippi Rivers
cuzzx View Drop Down
Trusted Experienced Member
Trusted Experienced Member
Excellent Member Of The Month Club 8/08

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2007 at 6:07pm

You the man dahogman

What I do be this. Put the trailer on level ground with boards on each side of the wheels so the trailer will not roll. I take a 6ft 2x4 and place it under the side of the deck  just above the logs. I then take a jack and a 4x4 that will reach from the jack to the 6ft 2x4 and jack that side of the pontoon up. when the logs clear the trailer far enough to put a 2ft 4x4 at each end of the logs on top of the rails, I then unjack it back down on the 4x4. as I clean I move the 2ft 4x4 to clean where its at. Then jack back up to remove 4x4 and lower log back into rails. then do the other side.

Another way is to take a hard plastic putty knife and while the pontoon is in the water I clean the logs.

Edited by rickdb1
cuzzx
2000 Dodge D
1993 Bandit 18ft
75hp Evinrude / 1993
20'Stardust/Landau Toon 1995
75hp Mariner / 1996
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Jim Myers - Owner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2007 at 9:08pm

We carry a pontoon boat storage block as well:

Pontoon Boat Storage Blocks

Sorry to muddy the conversation with product placement

Jim Myers
President
PontoonStuff.com
jmyers1165@gmail.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2008 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by dahogman dahogman wrote:

Get some long 4 x 4"s and run along the inside of each pontoon. Have a couple feet stick out each end. Put a 4 x 4 under each end of 4 x 4"s running along inside of pontoons. Using high lift jacks on the ends of the cross 4 x 4"s lift slowly and equally at all corners. Lfit about one inch off trailer and drive trailer out from under boat. Lower boat on to foam blocks. Raise off individual blocks as necessary. Here is a photo of what I am talking about. Naturally the jacks go on the four corners.

Eric, I took the liberty of making this a sticky topic in a couple of forums so people wouldn"t have to go hunting too hard for this info.

Edited by Wildcat Dude
dahogman View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2008 at 2:33pm
Thanks I"ll take that as a compliment.  My technical savvy with models and digital cameras sure shines thru.  Sure can tell what color my neck is.
Eric
2011 Tracker Targa V18
Mercury 150 Optimax
99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4
Galesburg IL
VaGent View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members
"Excellent Member of the Year 2011"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 10:45am

I"ve been reading about how to remove the pontoon boat from the trailer & I have a question as to possibly another way of doing although I don"t know if it would work or not due to the fact I do not know how strong the tubes are.

I have a "86 Riveria Crusier with a Johnson 70 with T/T. I have removed all the furniture, batteries, tanks & the folding metal top. All that remains is the boat & motor. I need to return the borrowed trailer to the owner.

ON each each of my pontoons is a welded piece of aluminum with a 1" hole drilled in them. These are not mooring locations as I have those bolted through the top of the decking on all 4 corners.  I am thinking about the possibiltiy of hooking a steel cable with hooks on each of the holes starting at the rear of the boat. I have a engine lift that is rated for 3 1/2 tons that I was thinking about using to lift the rear of the boat  off the trailer . Once I get it up I would then place blocks under the decking across the back from side to side. I would then go to the front of the tubes & repeat the process til I cleared the trailer. Once that was accomplished I would pull the trailer out & then I would let the boat back down to the blocks I see advertized on this site.

Will this work without the tubes bending or are they strong enough to be able to not bend when I lift them in this manner? I sure don"t want to mess them up but I was thinking maybe(?) it would. I don"t know if the metal with the holes are lifting points or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am wanting to get started on restoring the boat as soon as possible & I would like to return the man"s trailer soon as he was kind enough to allow me to use it at no charge.  Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Edited by VaGent
Les
"Atta Boy Award July 2010"
"Excellent Member Of The Month Club 07/09"
1984 24ft JC
2011 E-TEC 90 hp
1993 Voyager 24ft Pontoon
2006 E-TEC 90 hp
scbadiver View Drop Down
INACTIVE
INACTIVE
my all new 1975 pontoon! see rebuilds

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 7:05am
VaGent, I don"t think you would have any problem dong it that way. The logs should be plenty strong to do that, especially with nothing on the deck. It will be fine in my opinion.
Robbie
St Charles, MO
1975 Landau 28'
70hp Johnson
VaGent View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members
"Excellent Member of the Year 2011"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 9:29am

Originally posted by scbadiver scbadiver wrote:

VaGent, I don"t think you would have any problem dong it that way. The logs should be plenty strong to do that, especially with nothing on the deck. It will be fine in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply Robbie. I respect your wisdom as I have seen your rebuild & I can see you are a pefectionist like myself.  That can be good thing & a bad thing  huh?  Never seem to get everything done sometimes but it"s FUN.

I am planning on removing the metal top today along with the rotted out rear bench seat & console. That will leave the deck completly empty & nothing on the boat other then the engine. I am planning on placing an ordert for the blocks that are advertized on this site to put the pontoon on while I do the work.

I can"t remember right this minute the name of the material you used to build your console but how to you work with it compared to wood? How is it fastened or glued together? I am very interested in using it in my rebuild as it appears to be maintnece free.  Any special tools needed? And are sheets of it available?

And thanks for the reply. I"ve been reading this forum now for several weeks & have learned very much about pontoon boats. It"s a fantastic site for people like me & others who love to restore things. Especially pontoon boats. I"m not too sure at this point in time if I will ever go out in my 15ft tri-hull bass boat considering how rough it rides compared to the pontoon boat.

Les
"Atta Boy Award July 2010"
"Excellent Member Of The Month Club 07/09"
1984 24ft JC
2011 E-TEC 90 hp
1993 Voyager 24ft Pontoon
2006 E-TEC 90 hp
dahogman View Drop Down
Most Dedicated Members
Most Dedicated Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 1:05pm
VaGent, Go to the Pontoon rebuild section and look at the My all new 1975 Pontoon rebuild I believe it is the first one posted.  The material is called Azek.  You should go read the entire post concerning his rebuild it is very informative.  Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your rebuild.
Eric
2011 Tracker Targa V18
Mercury 150 Optimax
99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4
Galesburg IL
 Post Reply Post Reply